San Antonio Mission

San Antonio Mission


Mission San Antonio De Padua is the third California mission established by Junipero Serra, the Spanish Franciscan padre. He and two other Franciscans hung bells in the branches of an oak tree on July 14, 1771 in the secluded Valley of the Oaks. The site was moved farther north two years later for better access to water.

The Mission was named for Saint Anthony of Padua, a Portuguese patron saint of the poor, who had many miracles attributed to him during his lifetime (1195-1231.) The construction was the typical adobe brick walls, six feet thick. The Mission functioned until 1834 when its 80 acres became government property and the area was eventually abandoned. Restoration by private citizens was begun and then had to be started again after their work was destroyed in an earthquake. By 1928, Franciscans came back to take over the ministry and began a reconstruction which was completed in 1952.

Today, the Mission is owned by the Diocese of Monterey and is an active parish church and hosts group retreats. The lovely Mission has been nicknamed, “The Mission That Time Forgot,” because it’s the only California Mission that Father Serra would recognize today.

Mission San Antonio is located on End of Mission Creek Road in Jolon, California. Donations are requested for a self-guided tour of the museum: $5 for adults and $3 per child. Picnic tables are provided. Hours are 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Note : The Mission is located on Fort Hunter-Liggett, the U.S. Army’s Western Training Center. A valid driver’s license for all automobile occupants over age 18, proof of car registration and insurance is required for entry through the guarded gate. Also, there is a gas station on the base but civilians are limited to five gallons. So, gas up before you go. Be sure to call ahead to make sure that the Mission is staffed that day, too. (831) 385-4478

www.missionsanantonio.net




Partly Cloudy
30°
Partly Cloudy